Total Pageviews

Sunday 4 December 2011

Nanna's Blog

Well blog followers this ones unique its a 'NANA' blog   Have they left me anything to say, well I think maybe I can contribute something.
 
A lot has been said about fish and we have had seven or eight different types, cooked as many ways as the imagination can come up with, and enjoyed every single way, but  what I want to say is how generous and kind these folk are in helping provide us with their food.   I had only been here for one day, when a strange man comes up to me and hands me two freshly caught coral trout. I knows your son he says these are for you.  This same man "Jackson" by name,. took Ben and Sam out for a days fishing on another day and would take nothing in return.. A few days later another fish from another person.   Then Uncle Ben (an older man) arrives with a huge bowl on "Namus" which is pickled raw fish absolutely delicious and we enjoyed that with cous cous.  The respect they have for older  people here has to be seen to be believed and I think the younger generation in our culture could learn a lot from these island people, and wait for this Rob and Jo, its wonderful how they look after   them in old age.   I don,t think there is any nursing homes in Island communities.


 
There is rubbish laying about on some of the foreshores but I question if it is their fault or is it washed up on the island shores by larger vessels and pawn trawlers  and commercial fishemen etc.   But what was impressive was NO graffitti to be seen anywhere.


 
Having said that what is washed up quite frequently is ghost net, and fish nets, these have been reccycled in  most impressive ways.   We called into the art centre to watch some of the women at work on this enormous fish, which will be going down to Woolangabba when finished for a display down in Brisbane.   This and many other arts and crafts were in progress and it amazed me how they were using shells, old, rag, nets, seeds and anything that could be recycled to make such lovely wares, some for sale and some for display.  They were all very welcoming yet again and proud to show off their craft.


 
So onto a subject that hasn,t been spoke about.  Birds. There are not a lot mostly Terns, Frigates are the sea birds as opposed to our seagulls and pelicans.   They must be the most full birds with the sardines in abundance and can be spotted night and day fishing and feeding like they never
  get fed.  Also parrots, green,  ones and blue ones flit amongst the mango trees and I guess they fed on the seeds and fruit which is also plentiful.   Then I saw tiny wee birds, so small you have to be quick to spot.  
These are some of the sea birds  that Ben and Grandad saw nesting on the sand island that they stayed on.


 
I have spoken about the generosity but a few minutes ago one of Rob and Jo,patients just turned up with this amazing shell a gift for me to take home.  Apparently its from Steven Island and his surname of course Steven.  It is their tradition to give visitors to their island part of their island to take home.    I was very humbled.


 
Is life here idyllic.?  Yes it is for a short time, but eventually the isolation would get you down?   Have we enjoyed our stay? I cant think of anywhere better that I have been, and I am so grateful for the opportunity.  However the most important  thing for us was seeing How Rob and Jo work together at a job that never ends, with constant call outs day and night.  The pride they take in their work, and the  affection and respect they have made amongst they island people has made us so very proud of them both.  Yes we know there are many Remote area Nurses, but I believe these two are special and will be remembered for a long time once they depart the Torres Islands in January to go home for a well deserved rest.   Thank you Rob and Jo with all our heart for making this possible, and thank you my face book friends for convincing me to overcome my fear of flying and just come.


 
God Bless the RAN,S
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I'm Olivia Megan from United State,I'm happy that my husband is back into my life after 2 years of divorce, Dr.AKHERE brought my husband back today and i am so excited. I got DR AKHERE email online when a lady was testifying about the strong spell caster who restored her marriage then I said to myself since he helped her, he can also help me,so i emailed him and told him the pain that I was going through,and he told me what to do and i did it,Then he did an urgent Love spell for me. 48 hours later, my husband came back home and with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he caused me. Then from that day,our marriage was now stronger than how it were before, All thanks to DR AKHERE. Our family is complete again. If you are going through Divorce/Broke-up since DR AKHERE helped me, he can also help you..email him at: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com ,Thank you DR AKHERE for saving my broken Marriage and brought my husband back to me.
    Email him: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
    or
    call/whatsapp:+2349057261346


    I'm Olivia Megan from United State,I'm happy that my husband is back into my life after 2 years of divorce, Dr.AKHERE brought my husband back today and i am so excited. I got DR AKHERE email online when a lady was testifying about the strong spell caster who restored her marriage then I said to myself since he helped her, he can also help me,so i emailed him and told him the pain that I was going through,and he told me what to do and i did it,Then he did an urgent Love spell for me. 48 hours later, my husband came back home and with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he caused me. Then from that day,our marriage was now stronger than how it were before, All thanks to DR AKHERE. Our family is complete again. If you are going through Divorce/Broke-up since DR AKHERE helped me, he can also help you..email him at: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com ,Thank you DR AKHERE for saving my broken Marriage and brought my husband back to me.
    Email him: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
    or
    call/whatsapp:+2349057261346

    ReplyDelete